Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I noticed that she has a black area around her vulva JA:

Customer Question

I noticed that she has a black area around her vulva
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Hi, Pearl! Are you still there?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: Did you receive my comment about my dog Josie having a blackish area around her vulva?
JA: Where does Josie seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't know that she is hurting; however, she bites at herself and scratches constantly. I read comments from others that reported a yeast infection caused this same discoloration. What do you think?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. I'm sure Josie feels you are doing your best. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. How old is Josie?
Customer: She's about 7 years old?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: Only that she has been treated for an ear infection. Also, she gets pills for both flea and heartworm prevention.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This black area is usually caused by irritation causing this pigement change. This can be caused by a discharge form her vulva that causes her to lick there often and change the pigment to black due to the irritation. You did not say if Josie was spayed but if not, she may have an open pyometra that can cause a constant discharge. Also, an allergic reaction causing itching will cause this pigment change from the scratching and this will respond to Benadryl given at 1 mg per pound of Josie's weight every 12 hrs for 5-7 days. This is a good place to start. If the scratching stops, then this will help Josie and stop this pigment change. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes perfect sense to me. So, I will start her on Benadryl and see if she improves. If she doesn't, then should I take her to her vet? By the way, she seems to scratch at herself all the time. Lately, it has been worse. Thank you for your help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Josie has been spayed.
Since she has been spayed, this is most likely due to the scratching...try the Benadryl...it can be very effective. Your vet will have stronger medications to help stop the scratching if this is not enough. Good job!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta