Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

How long does it take for a dog to get well after a blood

Customer Question

how long does it take for a dog to get well after a blood transfusion
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: they said his liver was damage
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I really don't know he's just lying there
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no he looks okay just tired after the transfusion
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: no he hasn't eaten in the last four days they are giving him fluids
JA: OK, abnormal eating. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: samson a blue nose pit bull
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Samson A?
Customer: no we mention everything we could think of the vet should know, he blood count was down 15% and his mouth was yellow and white
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Do you know the cause of his anemia? Is it an auto-immune disease?Do you have copies of his bloodwork that you could post here for me to see?What other meds is he on right now?Lastly, how old is your dog?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
born2010
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the other info?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
antibiotics,steroids
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he's been hospital for 4 days now they said he's liver damage
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If he is yellow and anemic, then I would actually worry about IMHA (immune mediated hemolytic anemia). This is an auto-immune disease where the body attacks it's own red blood cells. It comes on very quickly and hits them pretty hard. Most dogs need at least 1 transfusion. Some will need multiple transfusions. I also treat these guys with immuno-suppressant meds- Prednisone + Azathioprine (Imuran). Most dogs are in the hospital for 3-5 days. Some as long as 10 days in the severe cases. The survival rate is ~ 70%. We lose a good number to clots that they throw to the lungs or brain. Here is a nice handout on the disease with more info:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1390 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?