Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has been digging in the sand and is very sick. Diorea

Customer Question

My dog has been digging in the sand and is very sick. Diorea and vomiting and making breathless choking noises. He must have ingested sand but won't drink water. He's shaking and quivering I'm camping quite isolated. How can I help him and rehydrate him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ted. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long has he been like this? If you check his gums, are they pale in color or a normal pink? It is difficult to rehydrate a dog that won't drink and is vomiting. We usually give fluids by IV or under the skin injections to do this. You could try using what ever you have (normally I would use a syringe or turkey baster) to give small amounts of water or broth by mouth and if he can keep down small amounts, gradually increase the amount you are giving. If he vomits whatever you give him, you could give (if you have it) 1/4th of a 10 mg Pepcid AC (famotidine) to see if that helps with the vomiting. For diarrhea you can try 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Pepto Bismal. If his gums appear pale to you rather than pink, he may need medical care. Let me know what else I can answer. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you can't see my answer. I have contacted the website about helping you change your email, and closed your second question so you won't be charged twice. I hope to hear from you soon.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer. How is he doing?