Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog ate his flea collar. Took to local vet. Was sent home

Customer Question

My dog ate his flea collar. Took to local vet. Was sent home with charcoal to administrator every 4hours. Please tell me what else to do and what to look for (getting better, getting worse). Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear Parker ate his collar. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It will help to know the active ingredient in the collar, or the name so I can look up the active ingredient. Once I know the active ingredient, I can tell you if there is a more specific treatment and what side effects to expect and how long it will last. It will also help to know how long he was wearing the collar before he ate it. If it had been on him awhile, there would be less of the active ingredient in the collar. If it was brand new, it could be more toxic. Some flea collars are pretty harmless if ingested, others can be toxic. Let me know the name of the one he ate.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Parker doing?