Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has licking her right toe until it has a sore between them, Maggie is 7 yr old, Yes, She just has her paw so sore

Customer Question
She has licking her right...
She has licking her right toe until it has a sore between them
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie is 7 yr old
JA: How old is Maggie Is 7 Year Old?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie Is 7 Year Old?
Customer: She just has her paw so sore she is hopping
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! So sorry to hear your dog has a wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. 1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a sock on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection 2.) Trim the hair around the wound 3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry after an epsom salt soak in lukewarm water 4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning 5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess 6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the side. Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you
Good morning, I wanted to check in to ensure you had no additional questions about Maggie's foot? Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you both... If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian