Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My two years Yorkie developed areas on her back, mostly the

Customer Question
last half, of scabbed areas...
My two years Yorkie developed areas on her back, mostly the last half, of scabbed areas. I noticed them while petting him and scratching his back. He had been to the groomer just days earlier. She said she had no dogs with these scabbed areas. When I pulled the waxy scab like the piece off his back there is redness of his skin and it appears to hurt him for me to do this. I cannot see, without a microscope, what the scab seems to be made of. I saw a very small with all in his hair at that location, possibly an egg.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Did not use medication for fleas at that time. Beau is his name.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?
Customer: They seemed to go away after I pick them off but now he has them aain, some in clusters on his back. My female Yorkies has not developed them so they do not seem contagious but their hair is different, his longer and thick, and hers is thinner as she is older.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that your Beau has these lesions on his back. It is possible they have been there but the grooming exacerbated the appearance or it is also possible that they are a reaction to the shampoo used, even if used previously to bathe him withA few things to try before considering a veterinary exam: - Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours. It may cause mild sedation initially- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to the affected areas with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen and/ or previous shampoo- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs and especially high risk are Yorkies with flakey coats for some reasonIf there is no change or progression please consider a veterinary exam. There are medical causes that result in these scabs such as immune mediated conditions or even a thyroid condition that is treatable once diagnosed. I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Here is an article on skin conditions with particular attention to Yorkies: http://www.yorkieinfocenter.com/yorkie-skin-problems
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian