Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14 year old female Affinpinscher Charlie has been

Customer Question
struggling with a cough for...
My 14 year old female Affinpinscher Charlie has been struggling with a cough for months. She responded repeatedly to Doxy, but as soon as the drug would stop, she would start up again. You advised it may be the anti-inflammatory effect of the Doxy so we just kept her on it, The cough went to almost zero for 4-6 weeks. Then I opened the windows (NYC) and pulled the humidifers because the weather turned warm - and the cough came back. Saw my vet, did blood and urine - blood showed borderline anemia - and was a little off with kidney numbers but both were not radically off - just a little wonky versus baseline. Urine test was inconclusive, a few white blood cells, a few bacteria, a bit diluted (it was first Am urine) but it was collected on the street. She also started some itching: side, rubbing face, licking paws, so I went back to vet and got Apoquel (she took it last year with great results) - itching and coughing reduced a lot with it. Charlie is unspayed - but we were unable to do the surgery because of the coughing and the distress: hyperventalation and dropping O levels she has when put under to clean out an infected anal gland. Now she had gotten what is diagnosed as ester-vaginal hyperplasias (is that polyps?)and they are getting bigger and bigger every cycle. looks Like a cluster of grapes and I am afraid they will reach an emergency level in a cycle or two. I just don't know what to do. Does this sound like something underlying? She is a senior, eats great, walks well - has a little back leg stiffness when she gets up from sleeping on a hard surface, and I have notice a little shakiness sometimes in her legs. Just to make it more complicated she also has been adding large "freckles" on her skin, she always had them but there seems to be more - with one kind of growing on a nipple.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago
Ronald Reupert
Hello this is Dr. Reupert. Sorry to hear about Charlie. The cough does sound like it may be allergic bronchitis which can respond 2 doxycycline. I do not see a problem with trying to used doxycycline long-term. I have had dogs on doxycycline for 6 months steady at a high dose with no adverse effects. I would probably try alternate day doxycycline after getting it under control for a week or so and see if that is enough to hold the cough. Number 2. The vaginal hyperplasia may be prevented by using megestrol acetate to prevent heat Cycles. Surgery is still the best course but if that isn't possible you can prevent heat Cycles for up to 2 years using megestrol acetate. Apoquel may also help her cough if it's allergic which it sounds like it is is apoquel made a difference. The large freckles are not a problem. Many older dogs get them much like age spots in humans. If they are raised or become inflamed that is something that should be dealt with.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Dr. Ruepert
Will the megestrol acetate make the hyperplasia shrink-up? The first sign she is going into heat seems to be these swelling up. They haven't gone completely back down yet, a month after cycle seems to have ended. In the 16 months that I have had her (she was as senior rescue), she has gone into heat 4 times. Any dangers from her age with this medicine? I would spay her if I thought she would survive the anesthisia, I worry about other negative effects of not being spayed. Are there other risks from the hyperplasia's - the last cycle they got so big - I wondered at what point would the cause her pain, or block urine, or act as a pathway for bacteria. Thank you
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago
I don't think there's any special risks in an elderly dog from megestrol acetate. I haven't used it in a while but think that it might be appropriate in this case. For a dog to have for heat cycle 16 months is very unusual it implies to me she may have estrogen secreting cysts on her ovaries. It won't reduce the cysts but will reduce the estrogen levels which is causing the vaginal hyperplasia. Vaginal hyperplasia will not cause urinary blockage because it is distal to the urethral opening. The major problems are drying and cracking of the exposed tissue. Subsequent local infection can occur. A topical antibiotic ointment may help.
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/reproductive_system/reproductive_diseases_of_the_female_small_animal/vaginal_hyperplasia_in_small_animals.html?qt=vaginal%20hyperplasia&alt=shhttp://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/management_and_nutrition/hormonal_control_of_estrus/hormonal_control_of_estrus_in_dogs.html
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie Girl. How is everything going?

Ronald Reupert
Ronald Reupert
Ronald Reupert
Ronald Reupert