Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Is it safe t give pepto to a 7 week old puppy? He has loose

Customer Question

Is it safe t give pepto to a 7 week old puppy? He has loose stool, my vet said that he didn't see anything in his stool, hes perfectly healthy and that it would clear up on its own. However, I'd like to firm it up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any blood in the stool? 2- What are you feeding him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there's no blood in his stool it just looks like pudding.
My vet put him on Science Diet id and said it would clear up in a few days, that was Monday.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, in response to your question do not give pepto bismol, it has salicylate acid (aspirin) and he is too you for this medication. I would add some canned pumpkin to the i/d to increase the fiber content and help with regularity. In addition, even though the stool analysis was negative I would discuss with your vet about getting him dewormed with panacur, sometimes the puppy could have certain parasites and be negative on routine fecal analysis. Or, start him on a medication called metronidazole. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.