Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

At night he has a very productive cough. The foam is all white.

Customer Question
He went swimming in ocean...
At night he has a very productive cough. The foam is all white. He went swimming in ocean Monday and injusted a lot of water. Had diarrhea that day and stool is still a lil lose. He is eating fine.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hank 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hank?
Customer: He was at the vet last Wednesday getting groomed. Had his bortdella shot that day. We drove 12 hrs in a van Saturday and hasn't been eating his dog food normally but is eating people food normal (for him) and has grown up eating people food and dog food. He is drinking water fine. Energy is fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Is he coughing or retching/gagging?And lip licking or vomiting?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Any changes to his breathing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gums look normal, blackish. Breathing is normal, no vomiting just the cough with foamy spit white in color. Cough seems worst at night and started day after swimming
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Coughing past couple days. Spitting up foam first time tonight
Thank you,I am glad to hear that his breathing is normal and that we just have a cough. Considering his history, we'd be most wary of throat irritation from the salt water (likely the cause for the loose stools too) or a possible mild Bordetella infection secondary to the vaccine. With all this in mind, we can try some supportive care to see if we can get him settled. To start, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Otherwise, since we have throat irritation and diarrhea, a soft and light diet would be advisable. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). These are easy to digest, so they should help normalize his stools while avoiding any more throat irritation as dog kibble may. As well, to further firm up his stools, you can add some fiber to this (ie canned pumpkin, all bran). And if he is very runny, then we could use am OTC probiotic/kaolin preparation for dogs like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, we do have to consider a few causes for Hank's cough and loose stools. Therefore, with the above in mind, we can start supportive care to soothe his signs. If he settles, we are happy. Though if this lingers, then a mild infection potentially from the vaccine would be a concern and we'd need to speak to his vet about antibiotics to tackle that as well. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian