Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog Toby suddenly went blind in March. He can just

Customer Question
Hi. My dog Toby suddenly went...
Hi.
My dog Toby suddenly went blind in March. He can just see shadows.
Until a few days ago he was able to get around O.K but now he has started to
bump into things and has great difficulty with steps.
Also he has lost his sense of direction and and seems not to know where he is.
His hearing is fine and he loves his food. He is sleeping a lot and is not is happy self- tail is down nearly all the time.
He is a 8 year old de-sexed West highland Terrier.
Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated
Regard
Tim Shappere
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. Did your vet have a diagnosis for why he went blind in March? Did they say he had cataracts or retinal degeneration?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vet suspected retinal detachment.
I felt it strange that it could have happened to both eyes at the same time.
Didnt seem to have much idea.
I'm very sorry for my delay as I got pulled away. This is a situation where retinal detachment can happen and look similar. Hypertension can cause bilateral retinal detachment. The other very likely thing is SARDS - sudden acquired retinal degeneration. If cataracts aren't present, then a retinal problem is most suspect. Could there be inflammation of the optic nerve such as an optic neuritis? These are all considerations. Would it be possible to have a referral to an ophthalmologist in your area?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian