Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She may have swallowed a 25 mg metoprolol tab. I apparently…

Customer Question
She may have swallowed...

She may have swallowed a 25 mg metoprolol tab. I apparently dropped it and can't find it. She weighs 11 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Daisy 12 yoa Chichuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Daisy 12 Yoa Chichuahua?

12 years

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have ingested 25mgs of Metoprolol.It is used in dogs to control arrhythmias, especially supraventricular tacchycardias.The usual appropriate dose is 0.2mg to 0.4mg per kilogram of body weight.At 11 pounds she is 5kg, (11lbs /2.2 lbs per kg = 5kgs) so an appropriate dose is 1mg to 2mg, but we can go as high as 1mg per kilogram of body weight or 5mg. She ate roughly 5 times a normal dose, so we do need to be concerned.Ideally if this just occurred or less than 2 hours I would induce vomiting to try and get at least some of the medication out.Induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take him out and run her around to get the peroxide fizzing. If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.I will be back with more information, but I wanted you to have this to start.
If you don't have peroxide you can take her to an emergency clinic and have them induce vomiting and give activated charcoal to absorb the medication.If you choose to take a watch and see approach, since you aren't sure she ate the pill, things to watch for are weakness, and lethargy.We will sometimes see diarrhea with this class of drugs too. If you see any symptoms then an emergency clinic visit is best.Keep Daisy away from stairs in case she gets light headed.Do you have any more questions now?
no thank you.
You are very welcome. Please let me know if you do, or I'd love to hear how things turned out for her in a couple days.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian