Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Explosive dirrhea and intermittent vommitting, we moved in

Customer Question

Explosive dirrhea and intermittent vommitting, we moved in with two other dogs (both vaccinated as well).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He has now had dirrhea since early Saturday morning he started vommitting Friday late now he has eye discharge for two days
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Winston
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?
Customer: No he got the routine vaccines on 4/12, the kennel cough on 4/16.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that Winston has a digestive disturbance that could be secondary to the vaccines, the stress of the move, or something he ingested that did not agree with him or a combination of all of the above. The treatment for this is as follows: Fast Winston for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed Winston rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the symptoms have resolved, then wean Winston back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an infection or intestinal obstruction. The discharge from his eyes are most likley secondary to the digestive issue but it may help to apply Artificial tears, available at the pharmacy over the counter every 4-6 hrs which will flush out any irritants that may be causing this discharge. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****