Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My wife and I have four dogs (one beagle and three beagle-mixes). One of the beagle-mixes

Customer Question
My wife and I have...
My wife and I have four dogs (one beagle and three beagle-mixes). One of the beagle-mixes, named John, who's three and a half and otherwise healthy, has a concerning behavior. John sleeps with us, under the covers, nightly. In the middle of the night, without warning or provocation, he will erupt from under the covers, barking shrilly, head out through the dog door (the yard is fenced), and bark in a very disturbed way. This happens every night. When I check, it seems that there is nothing there for him to be barking at. The other dogs ignore him.
Any suggestions about what might cause this behavior? Should we consider giving him a sedative before sleep? Any thoughts would help.
Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It may be that John is afraid of something that you may not be aware of or is having petite mal seizures that is causing this odd behavior. The first thing to do is to purchase DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent to decrease anxiety. If he fears something, this will help. If this is not effective, have your vet examine John to see if there may be a metabolic issue such as liver disease that could cause this behavior. There are also other neurologic issues such as a brain defect or even a brain tumor that starts with these odd symptoms. Hopefully, this is merely something that he fears and the collar will help resolve this for your sweet John. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian