Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate a cushion pad humans toe. It didn't contain

Customer Question
My dog just ate a...
My dog just ate a cushion pad for a humans toe. It didn't contain any medication . It was oval shaped and very spongy material. He is 3and weighs about 12.5lbs. He is half yorki and half bichon. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. In my experience smaller objects like this will just pass along your dog's alimentary tract without problem, however there is a small risk of an alimentary tract obstruction in a small breed dog like yours. 2. In most cases all you would need to do is to just monitor your dog but if you want to do everything possible then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the object that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK 3. However if you fail to recover this object by inducing vomiting and if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects { Of alimentary tract obstruction } would include vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the toe pad ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian