Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps licking a very red area on her under belly on

Customer Question
her inside legs. I...
My dog keeps licking a very red area on her under belly on her inside legs. I can take her to the vet this morning but should we put anything on it today?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear your dog is itching and licking so much. I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo twice daily to control the itch of the affected areas with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs- If needed you can put a 1% cortisone cream on the reddened areas twice daily for ten minutes then wipe off to minimize absorption but possible ingestion as wellI hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian