Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog's rectum is in larged and bleeding she crying

Customer Question

Hello my dog's rectum is in larged and bleeding she crying can't get to the Vet until tomorrow, I tead online it's called rectal gland what can I do until tomorrow to make her comfortable ?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that.
Customer: What should I do ?
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is Rectal?
Customer: New just noticed it last night may a couple of days she had diarrhea last week for a few days just had a check up Dr said all blood work was fine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rectal?
Customer: No just what to do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question your dog about hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. It sounds as if she may have an anal gland abscess especially if the area involved is located at the bottom part of her anal opening at the 5 and 7 o'clock positions.I have several suggestions as to how you might make her more comfortable at home until she can be seen (since most of these patients will require systemic antibiotics before improvement is seen). 1. If she's a small dog, you can soak her rear end in a warm Epsom Salt bath for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day which may help to provide relief.2. If she's too large for this, then I'd gently clean the area with over the counter dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day.3. Then once she's dry, I'd apply any over the counter antibiotic ointment or cream to the area that you might have in the house. Neomycin, Bacitracin, Triple Antibiotic are examples of what I mean.4. If she's not vomiting and not currently taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day. This drug has anti-pain as well as anti-inflammatory properties which may be useful in this situation. More than likely, she will need to be seen by your vet tomorrow but the above should keep her comfortable until that time. I wouldn't consider this to be an ER type of situation although I know that she's quite uncomfortable. I hope this helps, although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb