Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 6 month old lab puppy who has nighttime diarrhea.

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old lab puppy who has nighttime diarrhea. She eats the same thing three times a day, with pumpkin added twice a day. We've cut out all other food - we even use her kibble for training treats. She doesn't poop all day, around 5:30, she'll have a normal poop. About 7, she'll poop what starts as normal and ends as diarrhea, then she'll be up 3-4 times with diarrhea during the night before it ends and we start all over again the next day.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: None.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Holly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: She's completely healthy otherwise. Gaining weight, strong, loves to exercise. She'll curl up on my lap in the morning and afternoon, but by supper time, she will not anymore, so I assume her stomach has started to bother her by then.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Has she been dewormed? If so, what was used? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- Has she been seen by a vet for this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been going on for about a month now. She has been dewormed. She doesn't have any other symptoms, she seems completely healthy other than that. We went to the vet last week, and took a stool specimen - it was tested for giardia, and inspected for any signs of trouble. There weren't any worms, excessive vegetative matter from the yard, really any explanation for the problem. The only thing the vet noticed was quite a bit of undigested fat in the sample, which could just be indicative of the fact that urgent diarrhea wasn't letting it break down enough.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the name of dewormer? How often was it given?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the reason why the diarrhea only happens at night is because the stool that comes out firm is staying longer in the intestinal tract and having more water removed, once the firm feces is passed then the rest follows with less transit time as diarrhea. In a puppy with chronic diarrhea it is important to rule out intestinal parasites. There are 3 parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause chronic diarrhea and yet be negative on routine fecal analysis. For this reason it is always a good idea to deworm and rule out the above mentioned parasites. This is what you can do:1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon. You can also buy panacur online (amazon.com) or some pet stores. 2- Start him on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store. 3- Change diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular puppy diet. 4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work, etc. to rule other causes for diarrhea My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I took so long - I had to look up the records. I'm having a hard time reading all of the info, she's had panacergranules for giardia/tapeworms. Since then, she has tested clean twice for it. She's had ONPP twice. She's had flagyl twice. She's had Cestex. Since all of this, we've put her on probiotic which she takes once a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I understand that that is why the first stool is normal texture. What I don't understand is why the diarrhea stops all day long and only resumes at night? To me, this precludes it being food related, since she is eating three times a day.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
When she had diarrhea her intestinal tract is empty of all food. Once food starts to go into the intestines to become feces the first feces will have more water pulled and for this reason the first stool is solid followed by loose stool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand, but I am looking for feedback/information about why the diarrhea stops. She eats at 6 am, noon, and 6 pm. If food was causing the issue, she would have a constant replenishment of food, so one would think, constant diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to comment.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to try to help explain why her diarrhea stops during the day. Food goes into the intestinal tract and must go through a digestive process as it passes through. That takes time to happen. Essentially the food that she is eating first thing in the morning may not become stool to be passed until that evening. And that food moves a bit slower through the digestive tract because she hasn't eaten overnight, so the tract is moving a bit slower and isn't "primed" so to speak. Her subsequent meals of the day move through a bit quicker. Thus the first stool will be more solid than the following stools. Once her gut gets food again and is stimulated by food, and more so by subsequent meals its movements become much more rapid, fluids aren't absorbed and subsequent stools are likely to be softer and smaller as we see hyperpropulsive rather than the more normal movements.She isn't getting food consistently over a 24 hours period, she isn't getting food all night. And that slows down her upper intestinal tract enough by morning so she has no stools until later in the day. But once the gut is primed with several meals the hyperspastic motions occur again and we are back to diarrhea.So I would be highly suspicious that the food she is eating is an irritant to her gastrointestinal tract and given the increased amounts of fats in her stool we need to worry about her digestive tract's ability to digest the food that she eats. I would be concerned about primary pancreatic disease (pancreatic insufficiency), food allergies or inflammatory bowel disease.I recommend a blood test called TLI (trypsin like immunoreactivity) which helps diagnose pancreatic insufficiency and if abnormal may also point toward primary intestinal disease. I would also measure blood levels of cobamalin and folate, altered levels will help point us toward what part of the small intestine is having trouble functioning. If it looks like she does have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) then biopsies of her intestines will be helpful in formulating a treatment plan.In the meantime a true hypoallergenic diet (Hills z/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA) would be a great idea. Diet alone make make a huge difference for her.It appears that she has been thoroughly wormed.I would go to two meals a day. That may help slow down her gastrointestinal tract too by stimulating it less and giving it a longer "rest" period. That won't be the cure, but it may be helpful as a management tool.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them, or let me know if I can be of any further help.