Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems to be in pain but I don't know where. She appeared

Customer Question
My dog seems to be...
My dog seems to be in pain but I don't know where. She appeared to be fine then immediately she stayed whining and couldn't/wouldn't stand. She was passing awful gas and her stomach seemed to be alittle full. She isn't reitching or attempting to throw up. She will eat and seems to be resting but still won't get up to go outside or anything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has she had these signs?Any lip licking ? Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, more food then usual etc)?Has she had any diarrhea
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This started last night around 8:30. Her gums are pink and look healthy. We were rubbing her belly for hours trying to assist with passing gas and she seemed to like it, no pain. She will eat but won't drink when I bring a water bowl. My neighbor sprayed a weed spray on his lawn and I didn't know about it. She was there. She still has awful smelling gas.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's like she has to poop but can't
Thank you,Do you mean she was there while they sprayed? Or had access afterwards?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Access afterward
Hello again,I cannot offer a phone call at this time. So, do let me know if you would like me to opt out in case a colleague can. Otherwise, I will need a moment to retype my rely since your request has erased it mid type.Dr. B.
Hi again, Now what I had been typing there a moment ago is that we need to tread with care. Weed sprays can cause a range of issues but certainly could cause GI based discomfort. Therefore, to start, you will need to make sure you have rinsed her mouth and paws if she has been in contact. Otherwise, since this sounds like a case of gut discomfort and with distension from gas, there are some supportive options we can use. To start, we’d want to treat with activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed, reduce intoxication, but also bind and reduce her gas. Further to that and since gas is likely causing her discomfort, you can also treat with a low dose of Gas-X (simethicone). This can be given to your lass at a dose of 1-2 mg per pound of her body weight up to every 8 hours.Afterwards, we can also start her on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, based on her signs this does sound like gut based discomfort. Since she didn’t show any of those more serious signs I asked about, we can try her with the above symptomatic care. Though if that discomfort lingers and she cannot settle, then we’d need to consider having her checked to make sure there is nothing else in the gut that may need gut safe pain relief and further treatment to get her back on track. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I be concerned she won't stand up and walk? Would stomach discomfort cause her to just stay laying down?
Hi again,Belly pain (stomach and pancreatic) could certainly make her unwilling to walk despite having no limb issue preventing it. So, it does fit with her situation. So, we can use the above but again if we don't see her moving better soon, still gassy, or see those red flag signs I asked about initially, then we'd be best to have her checked to ensure nothing else is amiss that needs to be addressed.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian