Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 lb senior Chihuahua ate about half a teaspoon of liquid

Customer Question

My 2 lb senior Chihuahua ate about half a teaspoon of liquid terro brand ant bait about an hour ago. Is this harmful or do we need to treat anything?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jimmy... About 11 years old
JA: How old is Jimmy . . . About 11 Years Old?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jimmy . . . About 11 Years Old?
Customer: No mam
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Response here is just fine. Thank you for your help!
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Good news! : A small amount like this should not cause Jimmy any problem, the worst than can happen would be a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea and even that may not happen. Ant poisons are generally pretty weak toxins to dogs so we rarely see problems if they eat some of it, and this brand Terro liquid ant bait is a particularly safe product for dogs. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, all you need do is to keep an eye on your dog. 2. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Jimmy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with him just two pounds he should be fine?? Sorry just making sure. Thanks!
I would have thought he would be OK even at such a small size since this product is very non toxic. However if you want to be 100% sure then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the ant poison that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK with many sorts of ingested toxins. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best ***** ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
No problem, very glad to be advising you ... Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Jimmy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ant bait ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers