Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog's eye was suddenly inflamed today and has some discharge.

Customer Question

My dog's eye was suddenly inflamed today and has some discharge. He does not have a lens in this eye because he had cataract surgery a few years ago and they couldn't put a synthetic one in. His energy levels are good, he's seems unaffected other than the swelling and maybe some discomfort. We've put a warm water compress on it and it seems like it's getting a little better. Is it urgent to the go to the ER or can we wait until the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue, there is persistent rubbing of the eye, redness to the white of the eye or the eye seems swollen and there is no resolution. - Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably - A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain. Especially knowing there is no lens in this eye... Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 25 minutes to assist you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog and check to see if you needed any further assistance? If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!