Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has been coughing... Sounds horn going off. She eat normally drink normally plays with my other job still every now

Customer Question
She has been coughing... Sounds...
She has been coughing... Sounds horn going off. She eat normally drink normally plays with my other job still butt every now and then she stops because she had heard that coffee
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mocha 6 yes odd
JA: How old is Mocha?
Customer: Years I mean
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?
Customer: No..... Just that she's 6 yescough
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: 6 years old and that this cough is just driving her nuts that's what I think the doctor should know
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she coughing anything up? Does she only cough when she is active?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When she coughs she stops and Coughs whenever. Or when someone pays her back..... She likes getting her neck rubbed so when someone rubs her neck she starts coughing. It sounds like she wants to cough something up..... She only coughs up some white flem.... All I know is it freaks me out when she coughs cause it sounds like she's chocking but she's not.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh and thank you for helping me.....
You are welcome, but I don't know if I answered any of your questions yet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No but what I should have said was thank u for replying to my question quickly. 😀 hopefully you can help us cause i know it's driving both of us crazy....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would call u but I'm pretty low on cash...
Oh that is fine, can you let me know if she is coughing anything up? Is she coughing only when she is active, or does it occur no matter what she is doing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She caughs just whenever.....or when we pat her back. She hasnt caughed up anything....just white flem.....or white foamy stuff
What type of dog is Mocha? Has she been around any other dogs? The first thing I think about with coughing is some type of upper respiratory infection. If she is a smaller breed dog then I would be worried either about some type of cardiac condition or a problem with her windpipe.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chihuahua. I called a vet but they didn't really help me out. Except one told me they had a few dogs come in with fox tail problems..... So I thought maybe a fox tail..... The only dog she's around is her boyfriend but neither of them have been around other dogs
So she is a small breed dog. So it is a possibility that she may have an issue called collapsing trachea. This can be quite common in breeds like chihuahua. This is caused because as dogs get older sometimes the tissue in the trachea weakens causing it to collapse when they inhale. Usually they have to be permanently placed on some type of cough suppressant. But you may also need to rule out heart disease as well. When was his last physical exam?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 2 months ago..... Vet said shes pretty healthy....
Okay good so I am assuming that they did not hear any heart murmurs. So that would put heart disease lower on my list. So that would leave collapsing trachea which would need to be treated with some type of cough suppressant or a possible kennel cough which would require some type of antibiotic.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why kennel cough..... Is that air born??? I also, this might sound crazy but is there any meds I can get for at Walmart or pet store.... Like I mentioned earlier I would take her to vet but $$ is my problem..... I would only have enough for meds.....
Unfortunately the medications required to treat these issues requires a prescription from a veterinarian, so you won't be able to get those over the counter. However if you are short on money you may be able to ask your veterinarian to write a prescription. Some pharmacies offer $4 prescription on certain medications.
Kennel cough can potentially be airborne so any other pets can be at risk of catching it if it is kennel cough
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian