Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Pearl, my puppy (28lbs) accidentally ate about a gram or

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, my puppy (28lbs)...
Hi Pearl, my puppy (28lbs) accidentally ate about a gram or so of my boyfriends marijuana. He is wobbly and unbalanced, also very sleepy. I cannot get him to drink water. Should I take him to the vet or wait it out?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ben.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ben?
Customer: He is currently being treated for Giardia, he's been on meds for 3 days.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he eat this?
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts about Ben. First, I would note that this sounds like a moderate dose for Ben. Therefore, we do expect to see adverse signs as you are starting to see already. The most common ones are lethargy, depression, GI upset (vomiting), wobbliness, and sometimes hallucinations or seizures.Now since he is showing wobbliness already, we are likely past a point where we can induce vomiting safely here. Though we could consider using activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.Otherwise, we need to use supportive care now. Specifically, we need to keep him calm, quiet, and things dimly lit. Ideally, we'd want to restrict him to somewhere where he cannot fall or get hurt. As well, we need to keep a close eye on him. Often mild cases settle on their own within 24-48 hours. Though any of those more severe signs and we’d need to have him see by his local vet for IV fluids +/- anti-seizure medication to get him though this and recover.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
How is everything going for Ben?Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian