Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 lb chihuahua/dachaund opened up a 500 mg amoxicillin

Customer Question
bottle and broke up about...
My 12 lb chihuahua/dachaund opened up a 500 mg amoxicillin bottle and broke up about 9 pills. I don't think she ate any whole pills but I'm not sure what she injested. The contents of the pills are scattered on my bed and she is acting fine but should I give her peroxide and try to make her throw up anyways? Thanks, Zoeie
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's puking now so I'm going to call poison control. Thank you anyways.
4/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is good to call poison control but if Athena is vomiting now, this is actually a good sign since she will remove much of the Amoxicillin that had been ingested if it has been within 2 hrs of ingestion. If this is only a small amount, giving peroxide at 1 teespoon per 5 pounds of Athena weight ....you can safely do this 3 times and if done within 2 hrs, this will resolve this for her. She will still feel nauseous from the Amoxicillin and the peroxide but this will pass. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian