Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 80 pound lab ate two 1 oz blocks of Bromethalin mouse killer

Customer Question
.o1% concentration. How concerning is...
My 80 pound lab ate two 1 oz blocks of Bromethalin mouse killer .o1% concentration. How concerning is this?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He's healthy as a horse.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. This is actually very concerning. Bromethalin is not an anti-coagulant poison like most rat poisons people know about. It is more of a neurotoxin. It will cause swelling of the brain and lead to lack of coordination, tremors, seizures and death. Symptoms can take anywhere from 4-36 hours to manifest. It can take up to 7 days in certain intoxications to cause paralysis. If he just ingested this in the past 2 hours, I would give him 90 mls (6 tablespoons or 3 ounces) of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomited. If no vomiting has occurred in 10 minutes, that dose can be repeated once. After vomiting, no matter how much he vomits up, I would get him to your nearest emergency vet to give activated charcoal to bind the toxin. He will probably need multiple doses of this. They will need to put him on fluid therapy and seizure watch. Some vets may want to pre-treat with mannitol and steroids to prevent swelling of the brain as much as possible. If you do not have any 3% hydrogen peroxide, don't think you can get it down him, or it has been more than 2 hours since ingestion; I would just get him straight to the vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian