Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I just got a dog from a rescue on Monday. I made an apt. with

Customer Question

I just got a dog from a rescue on Monday. I made an apt. with my regular vet for next Monday for a check up on him. Yesterday I gave him a pigs ear to chew on. He was doing really well until the last piece that was fairly big and swallowed it whole after just chewing on it for a short time. Also he was having these sneezing episodes and today he there is yellow mucus drainage from his nose. He has not ate or drank anything all day. I tried calling my vet but they couldn't get me in any sooner then Monday. He is very lethargic Has had a little diarrhea this morning. But didn't pass a lot. I am concerned with an upper respiratory infection and afraid of a bowel blockage from the pigs ear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is DRB. Are you available for chat online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Ok I need to ask some questions first.Is there any vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to do this monthly, just would like an answer to my one question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello... Are you there?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand..You can communicate that to customer service. they are very responsive and give good customer service.....
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Can you let me know if there is any vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he has the dry heaves
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
So he is attempting to vomit but not vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes... about 3 times today
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any antibiotics in your home? And can you get unflavored pedialyte?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some from my last dog that passed away last month, but they are a year old and I don't know what milligram they are. It is clindaycin I think (spelling may be wrong)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can get the unflavored pedialyte
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Clindamycin is actually good. One year old no problem. Can you cook some boiled chicken for your dog?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did cook some and put it in rice but she won't eat it
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Try to let me know mg of Clindamycin and also your dog's weight....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't read the label very good. My dog is 30 pounds. My last dog was 60 pounds
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Then I want you to try some chicken or turkey baby food...... or even turkey or chicken luncheon meat.....I want you to go to store and get some chiicken or turkey luncheon meat. Also get some pedialyte (unflavored) and give about 18 mls per hour of pedialyte except mix it one to one with water. Once you do this then give 1 of the clindamycin capsules you have twice daily to your dog. The dose range for it is pretty wide so it should be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Thank you. I will try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some distilled water. Will that be better for him then plain tap water to mix it with?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I would use the distilled water to mix with the pedialyte....can I answer any other questions for you or help you in any way?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Can I answer any other questions for you tonight?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I am online in case you have other questions. Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to provide follow up answers. Thank you very much!Sincerely, DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I would very much appreciate the ability to help you further and would very much appreciate a rating. Thank you very much!DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Did you need additional help. If not I would appreciate a rating as I did spend time helping you and that is the only way I am compensated for my work. Thank you very much, DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammy. How is everything going?

Dr B