Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female has been peeing brownish-red pee? JA: Thanks. Can

Customer Question
My female has been peeing...
My female has been peeing brownish-red pee?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she has had a seizures
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been peeing brownish red pee and has a history of seizures. Has she been having a lot of seizures recently? The most common reason for a dog to have a brown or red discoloration to their urine is due to a bladder or urinary tract infection (UTI). Sometimes UTI's are random occurrence. If they resolve with antibiotic treatment and don't recur, then that's the end of it. If the are recurrent or don't respond to treatment, then we need to look for underlying causes like bladder stones, bladder or urinary tract tumors, or hormonal imbalances that can predispose a dog to recurrent bladder infections. Some dogs have what we call a recessed vulva, which is where the vulva is "hidden" beneath folds of skin (more commonly in overweight dogs) that can become moist and irritated, leading to recurrent UTI's. The reason that I ask about the recent seizure activity is this: If she's been having a lot of seizures (clustering - multiple per day or one longer more severe seizure), this can lead to a condition called myoglobinuria, which can cause the urine to take on a brown or red tint. If she's been having more than 1-2 seizures a month recently or having severe seizures, then she needs to be evaluated ASAP to get the seizures under control. The best thing to do is to call your vet and have her looked at, or at least have the vet examine a urine sample, which can help them get an idea of what is going on with her urinary tract health. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian