Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a just rescued a dog which after xray has a broken

Customer Question
SPINE (fractured). Now he is...
I have a just rescued a dog which after xray has a broken SPINE (fractured). Now he is in a vet and since the last 5 days he has not pooped or pee . Since its a critical stage can you advice what can be done immediately to let him release himself immediately.Pls advice coz its rather critical.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CAn i get an answer soon pls .
4/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Sorry about the wait. If there is a fractured spine, the first goal is to determine the level of spinal cord injury. An MRI or CT is needed to assess the spinal cord damage. If the spinal cord is severed, then there is no point treating unless you're ok with a dog in a cart. In that case, euthanasia is the most humane option. If the spinal cord is ok, then we refer for surgery to stabilize the fractured spine. The bladder is catheterized and a urinary catheter is left in place until the dog can voluntarily move the rear legs. Once there is movement in the legs, the bladder function will return. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What can i give to ensure the dog is able to poo and pee ? is there any medication for this.thanks
Mano
Most dogs it's just a matter of time. It can take days to weeks for that function to return. Again, it really depends on how much spinal cord damage there is. If the cord is severed, then it will never return- similar to people that are paraplegic from spinal cord injuries. If the cord is ok, I like to use Prazosin to help with urethral spasms and Bethanacol to help get the bladder contracting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks .. last question - do SPINAL cord recovery ever possible for dogs ?
Absolutely, it happens all the time. It's just a matter of how much damage there is and how quickly we're able to remove the compression on the cord and stabilize the spine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know if this facility is available in Malaysia I am just asking
I'm not sure on that. I did a search, but nothing came up. I would ask the vet you're using if there is a place with MRI or CT and a surgeon or neurologist.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am using a local vet clinic which has a xray machine pretty much .. nothing more than that . so i m not sure what options i can do with such minimal facilities.
Yeah, without MRI or CT, we just don't know the extent of the damage. I would see if there is a specialty hospital within driving distance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(1)hi can I find out if these medication is OK for this spine dog temporarily for the next 3 weeks ? (1) tolfedine 60 ng sid (2) methycobalt 1 tqb bid (3) liver 52 1 tab bid (4) enema every other day (5) a/d diet daily (6) hates man's solution i/v (7) clava mox started on 23/4/2016Question - will the dog be in pain even though on painkiller when we manually empty the bladderQuestion - If the above is painful is a cathector better option to empty the bladder , for the time frame ( 3 / 4 weeks depending on the dog ) for the dog to naturally heal the pain sensation from waist bottom ?For a 30kg Dog what is the recommended dosage for painkiller per day ( how many mg?)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i get some answer pls .. thanks .. as its very urgent
Sorry, I was out of town the last couple days. Tolfedine is an anti-inflammatory. I have never used it, but it seems safe and similar to Meloxicam or Rimadyl (Carprofen). Methycobalt is a B vitamin- probably not necessary here. Liver 52 is also a supplement- probably not needed. Enemas are not needed, as he should passively defecate on his own. a/d is fine if he's not interested in food. If he's interested in his own food, I would give that. Hartman's solution is just a balanced IV if they're not eating/ drinking or dehydrated. Clavamox is an antibiotic- not needed unless there is an infection present. I would also add Gabapentin- 300 mg twice daily for pain. I would prefer a urinary catheter- it's cleaner, less painful than expressing the bladder and easy to maintain until function returns.
Again, sorry for the wait.

I'm just following up on our conversation about No Name. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian