Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is in heat. All week she has been acting a little strange,

Customer Question
but not abnormal for her...
My dog is in heat. All week she has been acting a little strange, but not abnormal for her being in heat. Until today...
she has a swollen vulva and it does not ooze blood but rather a clear liquid
she is shaking lightly on her lower half (her legs and vulva area)
she is lightly crying to herself (almost like when she loses her toy and knows where it is but can't get to it so she cry to herself lightly to call someone to her to get it)
she is also closing her eyes - like she is in pain - when she is sitting with her head up or laying down staring blankly.
I am going to take her to her vet tomorrow, but I want to see if there is anything I can do now to help her.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Sophie is acting so oddly tonight. I will do my best to help. Is she urinating alright? I'm concerned about your description of her being uncomfortable but passing a clear liquid. If she's having any straining to urinate or seems like she's unable to urinate, then this could be an emergency situation. Having said that, a urinary obstruction in a female dog is quite rare. I think that your plan to have her examined is very solid - given her recent heat, another concern I would have here is that she's developed an infection in that uterus. Usually signs of a uterine infection actually don't manifest until about one month after a heat cycle, but sometimes the material that a pet discharges from their vulva when they have an infection is similar enough to the blood and mucus that's normally passed during heat that owners think that their pet is in heat. I like your idea of keeping her up and moving. If you think that her belly might be sore you could try a warm compress or a warm bath.Some red flags that indicate the need for an emergency vet visit would be:gums that are blue/purple/yellow in color (they should be bubblegum pink)gums that are dry (which indicates dehydration)a rectal temperature above 103(F)any labored breathingabdominal distentionobvious severe pain or distressWithout being able to examine her myself I can't think of any other things that you can do to make her more comfortable besides what you're already doing. She will need to be examined so that the vet can determine with the issue is and make a plan of action for you. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian