Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 3 yr old female husky mix appx 45-50lbs. In the

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 3...
Hi. I have a 3 yr old female husky mix appx 45-50lbs. In the middle of the night on Friday, she vomitted undigested food. The next morning, saturday, she ate very little and vomitted in the middle of the night undigested food. Sunday I gave her Pepcid and she was fine ate and no vomiting. Monday I gave her Pepcid again, and she ate and no vomiting. Tuesday, same thing.
This morning, Wednesday, she wouldn't eat her breakfast. At 11am she went out and ate grass and vomitted foam, but there was some blood because the foam was reddish and I saw two small bright red blood drops. I bagged the vomit, put it in the fridge made an appt. for tomorrow. She's eaten, pooped fine, drank water, urinated fine, since then. But the vet I'm supp to take her to tomorrow texted me tonight and says I should take her to an er hospital. She's not lethargic, she's kept food down, and been playful, but she is a but mellower than usual. Should I take her to the er? And not wait till tomorrow?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Did the vet give you a reason why they thought she should see the ER vet tonight? How is the color of her gums? Is she drinking and keeping that down?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vet is concerned that there was blood in her vomit. That was at 11am this morning. I took her temp using Vaseline and a digi therm, and the first time read 100.2 and the second reading was 100.5. I checked her gums pressed then and they are good. She's drinking water fine
Thank You, ***** ***** So her temperature is normal.The thing about blood in the vomit is the amount is important.If there is a drop or two then that is from a tiny vessel in the esophagus bursting from the vomiting contractions.If there is more than a tablespoon then she would need to see a vet as there could be internal bleeding or an ulcer in the stomach.To be on the safe side I would continue the Pepcid AC tonight.I know you already fed her but if you have to feed her again give her something bland like plain cooked chicken and rice.
Monitor her gum color. If she has internal bleeding then her gums will turn pale and she will be very lethargic.There may be more than a couple of drops in the vomit or stool.If there is bleeding into the abdomen she may appear bloated.Just do not tell your vet that my opinion was different from theirs please ; )
Does that help? Do you have any additional questions? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars. That will close the question but if anything comes up you can log in and still reply to the same question. Thanks!!!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr. Gabby, we just got home from the er. The doc did a physical exam and said she seems fine.. esply that she hadn't vomited since that 11am time, and physically seemed really ok, based on and from the physical exam. The er doc suggested if I wanted to run a whole battery of blood tests and X-rays.. I brought the bag of vomit that was foamy red .. and the er vet didn't seem alarmed. She said it was entirely up to me about doing the blood work and X-rays. $800!!! I said, well I'm glad I came in and you thoroughly physically examined her. IF GID FORBID, she vomits again and or any troubles tonight Or tomorrow i'll come back and get that stuff done. I feel better that she was looked at by a doctor. I'm still worried though.. But we were also there for three hours waiting to be seen, I'm beyond exhausted. I didn't know you replied, I thought you didn't, and I asked for a refund, through customer service. Now that I see your reply, I'm really grateful for your response and take back asking for a refund.The blood in her vomit was more than a couple of drops. The foam was all red. I bagged and bright it to the er and the vet doc didn't say ulcer or internal bleeding, but suggested and see me to get all those tests. She just had blood work 2mths ago along w her yearly vaccs... I really didn't want her to have to get all that done and the cost was crazy. I would've if God forbid she was vomiting much more since 11am diarrhea etc., but she wasn't doing any of that ya know? Plus if she was, I would've taken her in sooner anyway, I wouldn'tve come to thus site neither, I would've immediately taken her in.
Dog Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 1 year ago
Camille-Mod
Hello,I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Hi again, Sorry for the delay. I had logged off and gone to bed when you replied.Hopefully it was a quiet night and no more vomiting or trouble.She did sound stable to me so I think you could have waited until today to get the blood work an x-rays done. As long as she did not have any more vomiting, pale gums, or blood in the vomit.What did the vet say today? Did you have any blood work or x-rays done? Were medications prescribed?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian