Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Pekinese Dog Kika has from about 1 month diarrhea also

Customer Question
Hi my Pekinese Dog Kika...
Hi my Pekinese Dog Kika has from about 1 month diarrhea also with blood. She is always hungry but nevertheless she lose a lot of weight. With my Vet I try:
specific food - gastrointestinal Royal, also from Hills and other
panacur paste, than also metronidazolo. She take already intestinal products for the intestinal flora. No results, Kika has diarrhea but she doesn't drink a lot.
Pls help me, What other thing can I do. Thanks and regards Sonia
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What testing has Kika's vet done?What does her diarrhea look like?What was the intestinal flora product? Was it just a probiotic?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hallo,

diarrhea is watering with fragment like sand. Not always with blood. Between whiles like a fawn pudding. The smell is abominable.

She try Fortiflora with no result and yet take Enterogermina 4 miliardi - bacillus clausii. The vet has worm control and now she say me the perhaps could be a good idea perform a colon scopia.

Thanks

Thank you, ***** ***** we are seeing chronic diarrhea for Kika and her vet has only tried medical management without success, we'd really want to start doing some testing to start ruling out less common issues.To start, it'd be ideal to check a stool sample. This can be tested for infectious agents (bacteria/worms/protozoa/viruses not sensitive to Metronidazole and Panacur). This would especially be advisable if this has a terrible odor. Though I would note that if the odor is fruity and feces looks fatty (your vet can advise you if it does), then we may need to also test bloods to make sure we don't have an ongoing pancreatic issue (ie exocrine pancreatic dysfunction --which often causes fatty, odorous loose stools with weight loss despite a voracious appetite). Of course, if we rule out those issues, then scoping would be ideal since it would let her vet look at the gut from the inside and they can take biopsies to determine if we have an underlying problem like inflammatory bowel disease or even GI cancer. Otherwise, further to testing, if your vet has only used those 2 probiotics, consider having them try a probiotic/kaolin combination product (ie Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin, Fast Balance, etc) or have them also add in Kaolin/Kaopectate to slow her loose stools and help give them some form. As well, do consider increasing her dietary fiber as this can help normalize stool consistency. There are diets we can use (ie Hills W/D) but you could also add canned pumpkin, bran, or a fiber supplement (again something you vet can order for you) This won't cure the problem but if we can get her stools more normal, that will mean less nutrients lost and thus slow or even halt her weight loss. Overall, Kika's lack of response to those treatments suggests that we have a more serious issue afoot. Therefore, I would suggest the above alterations to her care but consider having a stool sample tested and then possibly having her gut scoped. That way we can get to the root of her signs and give ourselves the best chance possible to address this for her and get her stools back to normal. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian