Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 year old GSD has open spores on her body - dr suggests

Customer Question
we start her on cyclosporine....
my 13 year old GSD has open spores on her body - dr suggests we start her on cyclosporine.. i dont want to... any alternatives?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Olive
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olive?
Customer: WEll, she has had this problem with itchy skin since she was 9 - she has glucoma too.. but we have had it under control.. we just got her coat shaved since it is very hot and her skin had dried out.. but now we notice open spores - bleeding.. Dr has started her on antibiotics.. but says that cyclosporine is the solution
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr H, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr H
Dr H, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I would be happy to assist you today; I am a companon animal veterinarian with an interest in dermatology.I'm sorry to hear that Olive isn't doing so well; it sounds like she has chronic skin problems and glaucoma. Depending on what treatments have been done in the past, cyclosporine is sometimes used to control chronic atopic dermatitis (allergic skin disease). However, it is not the only treatment option, and certainly has side effects that may not make it the right choice for your pet. Based on what you're telling me, there are other treatment options for chronic atopy that may work for Olive. These include allergy testing and allergy shots or drops (RESPIT is a newer option in this category), and APOQUEL (a prescription for control of itching). Often food sensitivities and food allergies can produce skin problems and require a special diet for diagnosis and treatment. I would encourage you to discuss these options with your veterinarian; if you're not satisfied with the treatment chosen by your veterinarian, you can look for a veteriarian specializing in dermatology as a second opinion.Please let me know if you have additional questions and how Olive is doing. Please rate my response at your convenience.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your advice.Olive was tested for food allergies and she is on a no grain based diet now and has been thriving very well on that.
However, her skin is a big challenge for us still. We keep administering an anti fungal medication each time she breaks into a rash. But now that seems to be not helping either. I dont want to treat her with steroids since she is already so old and dont want further complications with her health on account of the steroidal medications.So as per your message is it ok to assume that RESPIT and APOQUEL do not have the side effects that cyclosporine has? I have told her Vet about this (BTW - this dog is in Bangalore, India and these medications are not easily available there.. but we have a distributer in India for RESPIT who is willing to provide us the medications.)Thanks a ton for your help.
Smruthi
Correct, RESPIT and APOQUEL do not have the same side effects as cyclosporine. I agree with you that avoiding steroids for Olive would be best. RESPIT works by "tricking" the immune system into tolerating the antigens (things she's allergic to); it is administered daily, sometimes for life. The downside to this is that it can take 6 - 12 months of treatment before getting a response, so patience and other medications to control her skin flare-ups are needed. Not every dog will be well-controlled on immunotherapy (like RESPIT), but the majority of atopic dogs do improve with immunotherapy. APOQUEL is a medication that suppresses certain proteins that cause itching; the nice thing with APOQUEL is that it works quickly, can be used routinely or more intermittently as needed, and has minimal side effects. However, there is enough concern for side effects that if your dog was on it long term, monitoring her with lab work would be advised. These can be used together safely. I'm not sure what is available to you in India, but if your vet can get theses medications they may be a good option for Olive.
Please let me know if you have further questions and rate my response at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Stephanie Holloway
Dr H
Dr H
Dr H, Dog Veterinarian