Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I accidentally gave my dog an extra pill of budesonide?

Customer Question

Hello, I accidentally gave my dog an extra pill of budesonide? I am concerned if this would cause serious side effects. Is there something I should do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 29 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because you accidentally gave Sandy and extra dose of budesonide.Budesonide is a steroid used to treat inflammatory bowel disease. The nice feature of this drug is that it is poorly absorbed systemically, thus tends to have less systemic side effects, but works well treating the inflamed lining of the intestine and therefore is very beneficial in treating some dogs with IBD that need long term steroid use to control their disease.Potential side effects associated with budesonide are the same as with any steorid, they are just less likely because it is poorly absorbed systemically, and include increased appetite, increased thirst, increased urination and changes in hair coat.One extra dose of budesonide is very unlikely to create any problems beyond transient, self limiting increases in appetite, water consumption and urination. And you may not even see those side effects, she may be perfectly normal.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
At this point I don't think you need to do anything other than watch her and make sure she remains normal.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sumi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sandy. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****