Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 yr old Doberman has had is on and off rash under his front

Customer Question
legs. I treat it by...
My 3 yr old Doberman has had is on and off rash under his front legs. I treat it by cleaning it with peroxide, & it disappears. He licks scratches at it with no changes to lifestyle or food. Very red inflamed raises areas with possible
Puss unless that the peroxide
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. First, I would note that if you are seeing pus, we do need to be wary of a bacterial infection (pyoderma). This often is a secondary issue any may be arising because he is licking/scratching the area. Therefore, to start, you need to block his access to this ara. If it is in the arm pit area around the chest, we can usually cover this area with a tshirt to protect it from self-trauma while still letting the area breathe and dry out. Otherwise, if this is lower on the legs and cannot be covered with a long sleeves shirt, we may need to use an e-collar +/- put socks on his feet to break this cycle of skin damage and infection. Otherwise, since this hasn’t settled with the peroxide and this can be quite drying to the skin; consider using an alternative antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water. Or you could also using Malaseb shampoo (a great antibatcterial/antifungal shampoo we use with dogs and can be bought at regular strength online at sites like Amazon). Afterwards,make sure to pat the area dry and you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily to counter the infection. And to reduce his irritation, you can alternate this with OTC hydrocortisone cream as well. Finally, since these situations often have an underlying allergy component, you can also try to reduce the itch with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Overall, it sounds like you are fighting a brewing bacterial pyoderma but underlying issues and his continue self trauma is preventing you settling this. Therefore, we’d want to add in the above to help you soothe that itch and get a handle on this for him. And if we cannot do so, then we’d be at a stage where we’d want his local vet to start a course of antibiotics and steroids to help get him back to normal for you. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian