Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Ward , my male beagle had a seizure today , 1 eye is very red

Customer Question
lays around sleepy all time JA...
Ward , my male beagle had a seizure today , 1 eye is very red lays around sleepy all time
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Male beagle had a seizure fell over no motion , after getting back up 1 eye very red and not opening as much as other one. I have 6 outside beagles not sure but could have been bit by a snake acting very weak no sign of snake
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your Beagle has had a rough night. I'll do my best to help. One seizure doesn't always mean that a pet will have more. Sometimes a pet will have one seizure or very infrequent seizures that do not require any sort of treatment. Has this Beagle had a seizure before that you know of? Sometimes what we think is a seizure is actually what we call a syncopal episode - this is where they actually pass out from a poorly functioning heart. It's worth mentioning since heart disease is fairly common with Beagles. We recommend seeking emergency care for seizures typically if there's more than one in a 24 hour period (we call this a cluster event) or the seizure itself lasts longer than about 3-5 minutes (this is the time when they are unconscious and actively paddling or thrashing). A red eye is a pretty nonspecific finding, meaning that it can be caused by a wide variety of things. My first thought would be that he potentially traumatized it when he fell down and had that seizure episode. Mild trauma would resolve on its own and look significantly better within hours. A quick rinse with some sterile saline can help dislodge any material that might be stuck in that eye. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian