Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is limping on her right back leg very badly and had diarrhea last night. She was fine this morning when I took her

Customer Question
she is limping on her...
she is limping on her right back leg very badly and had diarrhea last night. She was fine this morning when I took her out to go to the bathroom (no limping) and then just an hour later the limping became very bad. Almost no weight on the back leg.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, i do not see one
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no thank you so much
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Can you flex and extend all the joints on her back right leg, starting with the toes? Any pain, grinding sensation or swellings associated with any of these joints?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can flex and extend all the joints on her back right leg. There doesn't seem to be any swellings associated with these joints.
Thanks for the information. It is possible that it could just be a soft tissue injury, although a joint injury cannot be ruled out without a proper veterinary exam and/or x-rays. Usually if there are no painful or swollen areas associated with any of the joints, a muscular or tendon injury is most likely. That may explain why it was better, then got bad again. It is very easy to re-aggravate a soft tissue injury. Sometimes a spinal cord problem can mimic that as well, though. I would also check under the paw to make sure that there are no foreign bodies stuck there. If she is acting normal otherwise, you can always try confining her today and see how she is doing tomorrow, but if she continues to not bear weight on the limb, I would have your vet check her out and at the very least prescribe some safe pain medications. As far as human OTC pain medications, enteric coated aspirin is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause mild degrees of stomach bleeding, so I do not usually recommend it. Plus, it can interfere with other medications she may be on or other medications your vet may want to prescribe. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she had diarrhea yesterday.. but none so far today do you think the limping and diarrhea may be related?
As of now, I would suspect the diarrhea to be due to stress, unless it continues. That would be the most logical way to relate the two symptoms. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian