Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My black labador is 12 years old and just last year had a surgery

Customer Question

My black labador is 12 years old and just last year had a surgery to have a lump on her left side removed. After it was removed I wasn't told what the lump was but ove noticed a new lump in the area and she has been panting heavily for no reason and wanted to know if it could be somehow be effecting her breathing or even her heart
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joseph, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Joseph, Sorry to hear Maryjane has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. The fact the lump has come back is a cause for concern of course, it could be that this was a relatively non malignant lump but some of the original lump was left at the time of surgery and now has regrown, this would be the most likely scenario, but also more serious cancers are possible. 2. Where an older dog is panting heavily for no reason then this is also quite a cause for concern, it could be that this is heart related { unrelated to the lump } as heart conditions are common in older dogs and they often first present this way, but there is also a much less likely option in that the symptoms you are seeing are in some way related to the lump which has come back. Also consider chest infection and bronchitis 3. What to do about it? : All you can do is to have your vet check Maryjane over ASAP, even if this is heart related there are a range of prescription drugs which can alleviate the symptoms and make her more comfortable.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Joseph,I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the lump and the panting ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Joseph,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maryjane. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers