Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog fell down the stairs about 3 hours ago. And then had

Customer Question
My dog fell down...
My dog fell down the stairs about 3 hours ago. And then had a seizure ( has history of seizures) he is limping but no mosning or crying.. Still walking around and walking up & down stairs- good spirits. But article says he shouldn't still have a limp after 5 minutes of the fall...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's an 8 ye Oops He's an 8yr old male Yorkie. Approx 17lbs They were basement stairs that he never climbed before The seizure was short ( 34 seconds). He's eaten, jumped up & down and climbed the (regular) house stairs multiple times since the fall
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its his right front paw that he fell on
4/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Sorry for the long wait. I'm not sure what article said the lameness should go away that fast, but that's not a realistic expectation. Most dogs that have a mild soft tissue injury will be back walking normal within 5-7 days. I wouldn't expect it to be back to normal within 24 hours. To help with the lameness, you could speak with your vet about starting an anti-inflammatory med like Rimadyl or Metacam. If he were not using the leg at all, then I would want x-rays. As long as he can put weight on it, it should resolve with rest and pain management. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. He is no longer limping and remains in good spirits... Should i still take him to the Vet?
If he's walking normally and acting well, I wouldn't worry about getting an exam. If the lameness returns, get him seen at that time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian