Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has some respiratory inflammation that Vet was treating

Customer Question
with Prednisone. But have just...
He has some respiratory inflammation that Vet was treating with Prednisone. But have just finished weaning him off that steroid and his awful coughing/hacking has returned. Its too late to go to vet tonight and wondering if ok to give him a dose of Metacam to help with inflammation and coughing even though he had a prednisone pill this morning
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Toby. Pug. 10 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: His coughing began a day after we moved into a new home with tons of old carpeting owned by previous chain smoker. Toby has never lived in an environment with carpet so Vet is suspecting it might me some allergic reaction. But the coughing/hacking is really bad. The dose of prednisoe he hd today and yesterday was 5mg. Is that too much to mix with a dose of Metacam?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 1 year ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 1 year ago
No, we really do not want to use an NSAID like Metacam so soon after prednisone.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 1 year ago
We should wait a minimum of a week before restarting the Metacam - I would not expect any improvement with the cough using an NSAID anyway.
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 1 year ago
Instead, we can use an OTC cough suppressant like Robitussin tonight. How much does Toby weigh?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian