Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My German Shepherd JA: Thanks. Can you give

Customer Question
***** *****, my German Shepherd JA...
***** *****, my German Shepherd
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is going to be 12 in August. I adopted her at age 9. Her owner, my neighbor passed away. She is just an amazing dog. When I got her, she tore her right ACL. We had the surgery. Things have been fine since then. recently she began dragging the left leg (I thought)....I took her to the vet, she said it was arthritis in both knees. she gave me the Dermamxx, tramdol. and gabapentin. That was 1 1/2 weeks ago. I think we are worse then better. I am wondering if she she could have a spinal issue? I do have a 3 lb dog that was grabbing her tail to kind of take a ride prior to this problem. I didn't think to much of it..because the GSD never acted angry or bothered by the 3 lb dog. Needless to say I am keeping them seperate now I feel awful...because just a couple weeks ago Anna, GSD was fetching, running, barking and loving life. I also just last night tried the booties...to help her with slip...I do have hard woods
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am very sorry to hear about Anna's situation.Now her little friend hasn't likely caused any harm here. Still, if she is dragging her leg and its not responding to the treatments used, we'd have to consider that her arthritis is only part of the story. Especially considering her breed. This is because not only are elderly GSDs prone to arthritis, they are also prone to a condition called CDRM. It is where their nerves deteriorate and the communication between the hind legs and the brain is reduced. This can cause them to drag or inappropriately place (sometimes knuckling) their feet as they walk. It doesn't tend to be painful but it can be progressive and eventually put them off their back legs. Otherwise, as you rightly noted with her non-resolving signs, we'd also have to consider issues within the spine including inflammation, spinal arthritis, masses, and disc disease. With all these in mind, you have done well so far with her but I would suggest ringing her vet about replacing her Deramaxx with a steroid. This is because steroids have better penetration into the nerves and spines and can be of more benefit for those above considerations. Otherwise, if her signs do not settle with medical management, we'd have to consider potentially having her xrayed (to look at bony abnormalities like spinal arthritis changes) +/- an MRI (the way we can assess the spine). Depending on their findings, with these your vet can help you pinpoint which of the above is to blame and work out a treatment plan to keep her as mobile as possible. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian