Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 18yr old chihuahua has a rupture eye. been to the vet gave

Customer Question
a antibotic shot and pain...
My 18yr old chihuahua has a rupture eye. been to the vet gave a antibotic shot and pain meds and eye drop. He can't hold anything down we have been giving him honey water 20ml at a time.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mr Hershey
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Just wanting to know what else we can do
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He weight is 8 lbs and he been throwing up since the antibiotic shot
4/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am very sorry to hear about Mr. Hershey's eye. If it has been fully ruptured (not just ulcerated), you may need to speak to his vet about removing it as these can be very sore. Otherwise, if he is vomiting after the antibiotic shot, its quite likely that he is sensitive to that antibiotic. Therefore, we'd need to try and settle his poor stomach. To start, as long as he can keep water down, we can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Still, if he can keep that down and settles, we can plan to follow up with a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.Overall, his current GI upset signs are likely due to his antibiotic treatment. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to try to soothe his stomach. If he settles, we are happy. Though if his signs linger then we may need his vet to treat that nausea by injection too to get him feeling better. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Hi Greg,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian