Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 13 ye old neutered chihuahua his gums are pale

Customer Question

Hi I have a 13 ye old neutered chihuahua his gums are pale pink his penis is white and hanging out a bit he also has been falling when he jumps sometimes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has less energy I know he is 13 but. I am concerned with the white penis and his gums are very pale
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
You've described a profoundly anemic Chihuahua who needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. The etiology of his anemia needs to be clarified and treated promptly. A complete blood count is essential and may indicate the need for a blood transfusion prior to stressing him further. A vet needs to determine if the anemia is regenerative (he can replace the red blood cells he lacks) which is most suggestive of active bleeding or is non-regenerative (he can't replace the red blood cells efficiently) which is more indicative of a chronic inflammatory disease process.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?