Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** *****. My dog punctured his lower gum with

Customer Question
a piece of ornamental grass...
My name is ***** *****. My dog punctured his lower gum with a piece of ornamental grass. I pulled it out but the gum is very inflammed. I have cephalexin on hand. Can I start him on this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. You can use Cephalexin to help with any infection. What does your dog weigh?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
61lbs
Ok thanks. You can give 500 mg twice daily for 7 days. You can also brew up some weak tea and let it cool. Rinse that over the gums and tongue. Tea has some anti-inflammatory properties, so I'll use it in my animals with oral wounds or oral ulcers. It can help get that inflammation down.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian