Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My poodle acts like he has the flu but no breathing problems.

Customer Question
Chill spells and lays around...
My poodle acts like he has the flu but no breathing problems. Chill spells and lays around for last 48 hours. Nose is warm and Addomin feels tight.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. It does sound like he probably has a fever. That could lead to the fever, chills and lethargy. It may not be a respiratory virus or bacteria, but it's probably something infectious. The treatment is typically with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or Cephalexin. If we think it's respiratory, I like Doxycycline. If I think it's in the GI tract, I go with Metronidazole. A good exam should help narrow down the location so that the correct antibiotic and treatment plan is started. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian