Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a small dog and he has been acting different tonight

Customer Question

I have a small dog and he has been acting different tonight (itching, twitching his ear and jumping around), I noticed a small bump on his nose by his eye and there is also a little swelling behind his right eye. I then looked at his teeth and notice he has a small absess on his gums. I need to know if I can wait till tomorrow morning to see his regular doctor. Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that your little one is not feeling well. It sounds like he either has an abscessed tooth or was bitten by a bug causing these reflexive responses. You can try a few things to see if it helps settle him tonight but if there is no change or progressive swelling and/ or symptoms please consider a veterinary er- Rotate warm and cool compresses to the area if he will allow it in 10 minute intervals. Warm to increase blood flow therefore healing while cool will help numb- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours which may cause mild sedation (and in rare cases increased stimulation but <1%) but hopefully will allow him to reset and if it is a bug bite will reduce the swellingI would advise taking a photo tonight for your veterinarian tomorrow regardlessPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope he is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unsure with this answer and would like to ask the following questions. First, how much benadryl. I am unsure how much he weighs, possible 7 to 10lbs. Also can I give him anything for pain? Lastly, based on your information is it safe to wait until in the morning...he is eating and drinking normally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is very restless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is benadryl completely safe for dogs
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes Benadryl is very safe for dogs and used very frequently for bites, sedation, anxiety, nausea. Benadryl will be 1/2 of a children's benadryl, 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon liquid) or 1/4 of an adult 25 mg for his sizeUnfortunately not knowing what is going on I do not advise over the counter pain medication. It can make things worse and will interact with what your veterinarian will dispense. If he is not settling within 30-45 minutes of the benadryl I would consider a veterinary er. I am glad to hear that he is eating and drinking but if he is uncomfortable I would hate to wait until morning
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know any additional questions you have or if I have created new questions you would like to ask tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I allowed to ask more questions later after I give him the medicine, do I just sign back in
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are definitely allowed. I am online another 30 minutes tonight and will stay on as long as I am able until I hear back from youI am here until you are satisfied with our chat and are ready to rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will it be covered by my initial payment
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Do the benadryl instructions make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes just a 1/4 of a 25mg adult tablet, is that correct
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes, correct. You can crush and put in water or peanut butter or even a little piece of cheese
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in cutting the tablet will it be o.k. if he gets a little more than a quarter, also can it be generic benadryl
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes his dose is 7-10 mg and 1/4 of a 25 mg is 6.25 mg so if he gets a little more it is fine. If he gets a higher dose it will simply cause increased sedation. The dose is 1-2 mg/pound so even 1/2 tablet is safe
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Generic diphenhydramine 25 mg is fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I promise last question for now...if he settles down for the night and gets some rest, it should be safe to wait till the morning right?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes...Reasons to recommend a veterinary er tonight - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his gums are very red, however no vomiting or diarrhea, eating and drinking well, abdomen seems normal and no trembling, just won't lay in one area for long seems to move around alot as if he can't relax or get comfortable. The medicine should make that better though correct?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes the benadryl should help him rest more comfortably within the next 30 minutes or so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you very much, if I have more questions later is it covered by the original fee
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If I am online I will continue our conversation. Since you are listed as a subscriber you should not be charged if you have an additional question but this is not my area of expertise, I would have to send your question to customer service for definitive answers and unfortunately that would close our conversation for several hours...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that ok I don't want to close conversation just yet, I would like to see how he is doing first. again thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I am online just another 10-15 minutes before I have to exit for the evening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will i be online with anyone else and will they know about our converstion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed he seems to have his hair raised in some areas is that something to worry about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he is having an alergic reaction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that bad
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You think he is having an allergic reaction to the benadryl?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not to the meds, its just that his hair is scruffy and raised like he has hives or something...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl is what we use to treat allergic reactions. To have a reaction to the benadryl is very uncommon but in rare instances it can cause an increase in activity (<1%)...If he has a bite on his muzzle he could have an allergic to reaction to that and the benadryl would help reduce those areas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or like he is beginning to get hives
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so then we are still ok
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If he is now having hives that are not subsiding with the benadryl then he should go to the er. They can give steroids to treat the reaction and get the hives to resolve along with the muzzle swelling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to go get the meds I havent gotten it yet
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
OK if you haven't administered the benadryl then please consider a veterinary er. They can give it in injectable form and get the hives controlled faster than oral
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband will be home any time now I dont have enough money for an e.r....he will have it in 15 min. this is not something really bad is it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am starting to freak out now please tell me if he can wait another 15 min or so to have the med
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I really cannot answer that without an exam but things are progressing and I would not advise waiting. If you do elect to do so that is definitely your choice...The fact that things are progressing is a concern for me. Trying the benadryl and waiting an additional 15-30 minutes but if there is no change please seek medical attention
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out to allow another expert to assist you. You are going to need additional assistance beyond when I am able to stay to assist you both tonight...please do not respond again until another expert enters the chat. I apologize but I do have to exit for the evening...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, I apologize no one entered to assist you last night after I exited...how is your little one today?