Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was attacked & his penis was bit. I went to the hospital

Customer Question
they told me it wasn't...
My dog was attacked & his penis was bit. I went to the hospital they told me it wasn't that bad but since I brought him home last night it's been no stop. The bleeding is in a clot form
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Thank
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. It sounds like the wound needs to be readdressed and likely closed surgically. Penile wounds can be tough to manage. I prefer to close them with small absorbable suture. If the urethra was involved, then I'll also place a urinary catheter and hospitalize them for 2-3 days with the catheter in as they heal up. If the urethra was not involved, then it should just be closing the wounds and going home on anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics.If you want to just try something at home, you can flush some cold saline into the prepuce. That should help stimulate a clot to form and get the bleeding under control. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The hospital gave me meds & sent me on my way
Hopefully they determined that the urethra was not involved. If that's the case, then it may just need to heal up on it's own. This can take 3-5 days before the inflammatory stage of healing is completed and there is no more discharge present. That's not unexpected.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian