Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We think our 78 lb golden/sharpei ate my husband's size 13

Customer Question
flip flop. They were both...
We think our 78 lb golden/sharpei ate my husband's size 13 flip flop. They were both outside when we get to the baseball game last night and this morning they are gone.
He was inside with us all night. And seems normal this morning. What should we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. To be sure, I would get an x-ray of him. If there is rubber in the stomach, it should show up fairly well. If it's in there, then I would induce vomiting to get it out. If there is rubber in the small intestine or colon, then I would not induce vomiting and I would just bulk up the diet to get them to pass. We do this by feeding every 6 hours as opposed to every 12 hours. We do this over the course of 3-5 days. If you can't get an x-ray, then I would just bulk up the diet and keep a close eye on the stools. If any vomiting or lack of appetite, then I would get x-rays right away. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you happen to know how much an X-ray costs on average?
It's pretty variable- anywhere from 50 at the low end to 200 at the high end. It depends on where it's done and if it's digital vs film.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian