Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My teacup yorkie is vomiting x 2 days and not much energy.

Customer Question

My teacup yorkie is vomiting x 2 days and not much energy. Checking his gums, they are dark purple. Heart rate is about 104. Help! He is my baby!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are his gums usually pink? Are they moist or sticky?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?Can he keep water down?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are usually pink. They feel a little sticky. Cannot keep water down. His belly seems bloated a little. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He doesn't ever get into anything and he's only been in our home so I don't think he has eaten anything out of the ordinary. Stool normal. Breathing rate seems to be around 30 resting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,First, I do want to note that his heart rate and breathing rates are thankfully normal.And while its good to hear that he is not in discomfort, I have to say I am quite concerned about your lad. This gum color change does raise worries of possible perfusion issues. We can see this with heart and lung (less likely if his rates are normal) issues but otherwise it can be related to blockage of normal blood flow to the gut. Now he isn't a breed that is prone to bloats but if he does seem to have belly distension and discoloured gums, it is a worry. Therefore, if you are seeing both, I do feel it is best to have him seen at this stage to just make sure we don't have an urgent issue we need to address (like a blockage, twist, or intussusception (where the gut blocks itself). Otherwise, if there is any delay in having him seen, you can try to allay his nausea with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. While waiting for that to kick in, since your dog is a small breed and therefore has limited body reserves, we need to keep an eye on his energy levels. Therefore, to start, if he is weak and lethargic at any point, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into him and hopefully perk him up for us. If he does settle with that and especially if that gum color improves, then we could think about a light diet as well. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Overall, I have to say that while his heart/breathing rates are normal, this gum discoloration just has be a bit worried about those urgent issues. Therefore, I do think it is best to be safe in this instance and have him seen. That way we can make sure there is no blockage, gut damage or those other issues I noted. Depending on his vet's findings, they can address any of those worries or if he just has gut upset then they can start him on injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Should I take home now or can I take him at 8 am aprx 4 hrs before the vet opens?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,If he isn't painful and keeps breathing normally; then you can monitor until his vet opens. Of course, any changes to that and we'd want to have him seen sooner.Best wishes for you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your help! God bless.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I am glad I could be of help and wish you both the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going?Dr. B.