Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 5 week old Great Dane puppy he is not gaining weight

Customer Question

I have a 5 week old Great Dane puppy he is not gaining weight he has been about 3.5 lbs since he was 3 weeks every time he eats his stomach gets really bloated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done my fair share of research on Great Danes and found that I should be feeding him low protein food i currently have him on wellness adult canned food I'm just really concerned about his weight you could visibly see his spine hip and ribs and I've been feeding him more often to try and get some weight on him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. First, I would note that if he only seems bloated only at feeding time, this is likely just stomach dilation when it is full of food (as opposed to issues that would cause constant bloat like worms, heart issues, fluid accumulation, etc). Its likely quite obvious with him since he is in a low body condition without much muscle cover. And this would be especially suspect if you are trying to feed him more at this stage. So, we'd not be alarmed as long as it settles as he digests. Otherwise, I have to note that while you are correct that giant breed dogs need a lower protein level then other smaller breed puppies, the level of protein and calories in the adult Wellness food is much too low for this pup. And will be why he isn't gaining weight and why his condition is poor enough that you can see distension of his belly when you are feeding him. Just to note most vet nutritionists recommend that large breed growing puppies eat diets containing no more than 24-30% protein. Therefore, with his poor condition and current diet, it'd be ideal to place him on a breed specific or giant breed designed puppy food. That way her can get the nutrition he needs for growth but avoid the overdose of protein that one would feed a faster developing small breed pup. And since he has been on such a low protein plane as of late, I would suggest that when you do start a more appropriate diet for him that you wean him slowly over as to avoid shock to the gut and diarrhea secondary to the sudden nutrient increase.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet