Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is very itchy and can't get it to stop, it is toward his rear end and paws, Sven 10 weeks he doesn't have fleas I

Customer Question
he is very itchy and...
he is very itchy and can't get it to stop, it is toward his rear end and paws
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sven 10 weeks he doesn't have fleas I check him every day I'm thinking it's an allergic reaction to the dog shampoo
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he has a raw sort on his lips that has been there for weeks and won't go away
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of that lip sore to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ It's likely to be a clue for why Sven is so pruritic (itchy).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5nfkbt06u598sf/20160407_201427.jpg?dl=0
Thank you. That appears to be an ulcerated histiocytoma - a benign growth mainly of young dogs which should crumble away within 12 weeks. It's not related to his pruritis. When both the anus and paws are pruritic both atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance should be considered. He's awfully young to have developed atopy - it usually takes more than 10 weeks for a dog to become hypersensitive to an environmental allergen - and so switching to a hypoallergenic food may be the ticket. Food intolerance/allergy is best addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that his immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what can I give him now to stop the itching
There's not much of value over the counter. Antihistamines are usually reached for but aren't reliably effective. You can see how diphenhydramine (Benadryl) affects him at a dose of 1 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours if need be. I would have his veterinarian take a good look at Sven's skin when he's next due for a vaccination. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian