Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

10yo Shih TZu Poodle cross hasn't eaten since Tuesday 5th April.

Customer Question

10yo Shih TZu Poodle cross hasn't eaten since Tuesday 5th April. has been to hospital - bloods almost normal, but melaena suggested gastric ulcer or tumour.
My wife died after long illness 22nd Feb and I believe he is suffering bereavement. In her last year he was her companion on the bed much of the time. Even after drip and nasogastric feeding for 24 hrs, he's still rejecting food and only rarely drinks. Getting weaker - was bouncy loving/lovable dog. Left hospital with Omeprazole 10mg, Maropitant, Enrofloxacin each 1 tab/day, plus Sucralfate (1/2 taab as slurry tid)
They haven't suggested an antidepressant or appetite stimulant.
I don't want to lose him so soon after losing my wife.
Can you offer suggestions, please?
Regards,
John Hurley ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I can't imagine what you're going through. I think at this point I would talk with your vet about adding Mirtazapine. This is an appetite stimulant that also works to increase serotonin levels. In people, it is an anti-depressant. I use it a lot in dogs and cats to stimulate appetite. I would also have considered placing an E-tube. This is a feeding tube that enters the esophagus. It is well tolerated and allows owners to syringe feed into the tube at home and continue to give adequate nutrition until the dog starts eating. It can be in place for days to weeks, so it's more useful than an NG tube that is only used in the hospital. These are a couple things that could be done as far as treatment. When it comes to diagnostics, I would seriously consider an exploratory surgery to look for any tumors or ulcers in the gut that can be removed surgically. There is a chance that metastatic cancer is found and we euthanize on the table, but to get an answer surgery and biopsy is the best way. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.